Meeting Location Change
Starting with our January meeting, SFJAG monthly meetings moved to Chamber South, located at 6410 SW 80th Street, in South Miami. This is a few blocks South of the Elks, at US1 and SW 80th Street, just behind Fuchs Park (across from the old Pearl’s). We will have a short board meeting from 6-6:30 followed by social from 6:30-7, then a short meeting from 7 – 7:30, after which we’ll have a hands-on activity or a presenter. This month its Lynn Yuhr and Polymer clay buds.
Lynn Yuhr Polymer Clay Hands-On in March
At our March meeting, Lynn Yuhr will provide a brief introduction to polymer clay and will demo a small flower bud project that can be worn as a pendant. This is a fairly simple project that illustrates some of the characteristics of polymer clay that make it a fun and versatile material to work with.
If you’d like to participate in this project, you’ll need the following:
- Small ceramic tile as work surface (4×4-inch or 6×6-inch would work fine)
- Sharp tissue blade
- Acrylic roller
- Notebook and pen for note taking
Lynn will supply the kit with materials to make 1 Flower Bud, Oven, mitts, trays, etc to bake clay. There will be time for 1 baking only. While flowers are baking, she will demo variations that can be done at home and answer any questions.
Cumulative Raffle Continues in March
Familiar with the William Holland School of Lapidary Arts? You will be! Each month, SFJAG members who attend each meeting will receive a free raffle ticket. In December, everyone who attended all eleven meetings will receive a bonus ticket. At the December meeting, we’re going to raffle admission – one week’s tuition – to William Holland! That’s room, board, and any class you want to take! And don’t let the “Lapidary Arts” label fool you. William Holland offers a wealth of classes in basketry, beading, lampwork, leatherwork, photography, stained glass – and more! There are 28 categories listed on their page, so something for everyone. More details at the January meeting. Remember, only registered members are eligible to receive a raffle ticket.
New Meeting Agenda
Starting in January, we have some important changes to our meeting agenda:
- SFJAG will hold a board meeting from 6:00pm until 6:30pm before each meeting. The board meeting is open to all members. The agenda for the meeting will be posted on the website prior to the meeting day.
- The formal meeting will last for about 30 minutes (really!). We will be using the website and our newsblast to communicate upcoming events.
- Each month, we will have a hands-on project, instructor presentation, or a special interest presentation. In January, we have Kaska Firor doing a scrap wire chain project. In February, we have a presentation on wax carving for lost wax casting – and more great things planned!