Club Bead 2018 Projects and Information
We are very excited about our 2nd annual Club Bead! The response from our inaugural event was beyond positive, both for our teacher lineup and for the venue. This year’s faculty is rising to our challenge to come up with exciting projects!
Bookmark this page, and visit often to keep up with the latest.
Note: if you click the individual images, they will expand to full screen for better viewing.
Cynthia Rutledge’s Estelle’s Sautoir
When Estelle Arpels, the daughter of a gem dealer, married Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a stonecutter, it was the beginning of a love story, like no other, and a great adventure beyond expectation!Alfred and Estelle had a desire to create something lasting. Their enthusiasm and devoted commitment to the pursuit of beauty led them to found the Maison of Van Cleef & Arpels in 1906. Situated at 22 Place Vendôme in Paris, the Maison was known for understated elegance, refinement, and grace with a taste for innovation. Putting all of these attributes together defined the Maison’s spirit of beauty.
Estelle’s Sautoir evokes the style of a sautoir from the Art Deco period. A supple cubic right angle weave fire polish necklace cord ends with two pearl, fire polish and seed bead tassels. A square cubic right angle weave and embellished pearl component slides up and down the necklace to adjust for placing over the head and adjusting to how the necklace can be worn. The sliding component can be worn close to the base of the throat or low. The tassels can be staggered or even, it’s up to you. Either way, this design is beautiful and elegant. I hope that Estelle would agree.
Skill level: Intermediate to advanced
Necklace length: My samples are 33 inches from the end of one tassel to the end of the other tassel.
- Cubic right angle weave
- Flat and tubular peyote stitch Herringbone
- Fringing and embellishing techniques
- 11 grams 15° seed beads, main color (A)
- 3 grams 15° seed beads, 1st accent color (B)
- 5 grams Delica beads (C)
- 1 gram 11° seed beads to match the A beads (D)
- 1 gram 11° seed beads to match the B beads (E)
- 1 gram 11° seed beads, accent color (F)
- 16 baby 3mm metal flower spacers in a color to blend with seed beads 57-‐60 pieces of 3mm Swarovski pearls
- 3 pieces of 12mm Swarovski pearls
- 1800 – 1900 pieces of 3mm Czech fire polish beads (FP). These beads usually come on strands of 50 pieces so you would need 36 – 40 strands.
- Nylon beading thread in a color slightly darker than the fire polish beads so that the thread doesn’t show as much.
- Microcrystalline beading wax
- Two size 12 beading needles
- One size 13 beading needle for tight spots
- Small, sharp scissors
- Thread burner
- Beading surface of choice
- Lighting and magnification (if needed)
Melanie Potter’s Etruscan Revival Cuff
The Etruscans inhabited the middle of Italy during the early Roman period. They were an aesthetically refined people and their jewelry reflected their meticulous ornamentation. At the early part of the 1800’s a large find of Etruscan jewelry was uncovered and it spawned a period of copying these spectacular jewels, thus the revival ensued.
Characteristic of the Etruscan style, the focal ornament is large and overstated. A peyote bezel using cylinder and seed beads is employed to secure the large German glass cabochon. Once secure, it is then inlaid with zircon cup chain and adorned with a track of large beads on the outside edge to further enhance the proportions.
The band of this bracelet are square dimensional open eyelets with a decorative bead at the center and edging round to draw attention to the opening. The closure features two shaped open eyelet end caps with a button and loop closure.
Skill level: Intermediate
Techniques: Peyote (circular & flat), Stitch in the Ditch, Stringing, Edging
- Color A - 15/0 seed beads, surrounds main bezel, closely match color C - 3g
- Color B - 15/0 seed beads, outlines center of squares on band - 3g
- Color C - 11/0 cylinder beads, bezel - 11g
- Color D - 11/0 cylinder beads, main color of band - 5g
- Color E - 11/0 cylinder beads, contrast on band - 3g
- Color F - 2 x 4mm peanut beads, surrounds bezel - 36 each
- Color G - 6mm Czech 2-hole bar, inside band windows - ~8 each
- Color H - 8/0 Demi, embellishment on band - 40 each
- 2mm Zircon cup chain, surrounds bezel, 4” length
- 2" x 2" faux suede, backside of bezel
- 27mm cabochon, center of bezel
- Beading thread (One G)
- Beading needle size 10 & 11
- Microcrystalline Wax
Nancy Cain’s Lucia Necklace
around yards and dwellings
In places unreached by sun,
the shadows brood
Into our dark house she comes,
bearing lighted candles,
Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia.”
-Traditional Lucia song
In Italian the name Lucia means “Graceful Light”. It comes from the Latin word Lux (Light)
Lucia is an ancient mythical figure with an abiding role as a bearer of light in the dark Swedish winters. For many, many years Lucia has brought faith, hope, and a reason to believe in good things to come.
My Lucia necklace is a lantern of Swarovski light made in tubular peyote with my Pinch-in-the-Ditch technique. Strands of delicate fringe hang beneath. The long rope is made with a classic Chenille stitch.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Techniques: proficiency tubular peyote and chenille stitch.
Kit Cost: $90.00 (paid to the instructor)
Color 1 – dominant color
- 15/0 - approx. 6g
- 11/0 – approx. 18g 8/0 – approx. 6g
Color 2 – accent color
- 15/0 approx. 6g
- 11/0 – approx. 15g
- 4 – 1122 Swarovski rivolis
- 14 – 3mm 5328 bicones
- 20 - 4mm 5040 Briolette (rondelles)
- 80 - ‘O’ beads
- One G thread
- Clasp – single hole, any style, approx. ¾” in length.
- Microcrystalline wax if desired
- 6# Fireline if desired
- Needles- size 12 and 11Accordion Sample Description
General Tools and Supplies for All Classes
We will update this list as time grows closer for Club Bead, but in general, the following covers general supplies that would be needed for the classes. Check each instructor’s list for specific requirements
- Task light
- Tape measure
- Beading needles
- 2 size 12 beading needles
- Thread burner
- Micro-crystalline wax